Panama Canal – Quick Reference & Check List for Master
To Masters – Panama Canal Pre Arrival Questionnaire
- VESSEL NAME
- ARRIVAL PORT (CRISTOBAL/BALBOA)
- ESTIMATED ARRIVAL DATE (DATE/TIME)
- TFW DRAFT FWD (99-99) FEET
- TFW DRAFT AFT (99-99) FEET
- TSW DRAFT FWD (99-99) FEET
- TSW DRAFT AFT (99-99) FEET
- EXCEED ACP VISIBILITY (YES/NO)
- COMPANY IN CHARGE OF SECURITY
- COMPANY SECURITY OFFICER NAME
- COMPANY SECURITY OFFICER COUNTRY
- COMPANY SECURITY OFFICER EMAIL ADDRESS
- COMPANY SECURITY OFFICER PHONE NO.
- COMPANY SECURITY OFFICER FAX NO.
- RADIO PRATIQUE REQUESTED YES/NO
- SECURITY OFFICER FIRST NAME
- SECURITY OFFICER LAST NAME
- SECURITY OFFICER LICENSE MARINE CODE
- SECURITY OFFICER FAX NO.
- SECURITY OFFICER EMAIL
- INTL. SHIP SECURITY CERTIFICATE (YES/NO)
- SHIP SECURITY CERTIFICATE DATE ISSUE (DD/MM/YYYY) (NORMAL OR INTERIM)
- SHIP SECURITY CERTIFICATE NO.
- MARSEC LEVEL OF SECURITY
- SHIP SECURITY ISSUING ORGANIZATION OR PERSON SHIP SECURITY CERTIFICATE EXPIRY DATE (DD/MM/YYYY)
- SHIP SECURITY (COUNTRY) CERTIFICATE GOVERNMENT
- DERATTING CERTIFICATE DATE
- DERATTING CERTIFICATE PORT (COUNTRY AND PORT)
- DERATTING CERTIFICATE REMARK
- NEXT PORT (COUNTRY AND PORT)
- LAST 10 PORTS OF CALL (IF THE VESSEL DOES NOT APPLY FOR THE LAST TEN PORTS SPECIFY REASON.)
- PORTS / DEPARTED DATE (DD/MM/YYYY) / MARSEC LEVEL /
- DECLARATION OF SECURITY (YES / NO) / INFECTED (YES/NO) /
- ORIGIN OF MEAT CARGO STORES (COUNTRY)
- COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OF ALL CARGO STORES (COUNTRY)
- ANY DISEASES ON-BOARD
- DECLARATION REGARDING AVIAN FLU
- WHETHER ANY REPORTED BIRDS (ANY TYPE) HAVE DIED ON BOARD WHETHER ANY OF THE DECLARED PORT CALLS ARE LOCATED IN COUNTRIES IDENTIFIED AS HAVING OUTBREAKS OF AVIAN FLU WHETHER PASSENGERS OR CREWMEMBERS ON BOARD ARE EXPERIENCING FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS, AND WHAT HAS BEEN THE EVOLUTION OF SUCH CONDITION
- CARGO DECLARATION (GENERAL)
- MAJOR CARGO TYPE
- TOTAL CARGO ON BOARD (MT)
- DANGEROUS CARGO
- UN NUMBER
- CARGO NAME
- FLASH POINT
- QUANTITY (MT)
- LAST CARGO TANK
- UN NUMBER
- CARGO NAME
- FLASH POINT I
- NERTED (YES/NO)
- GAS FREE (YES/NO)
- SAVE FOR ENTRY (YES/NO)
- CREW LIST:
- LAST NAME
- FIRST NAME
- DATE OF BIRTH (DD/MM/YYYY)
- ID NUMBER
- ID TYPE (IF PASSPORT OR SEAMANS BOOK)
Panama Canal Check List
Vessel complies with her Max Allowable TFW draft for transit?
Vessel complies with her Min Allowable TFW draft for transit? (in ballast)
Both forward anchors are fully operational?
Forward and Stern winches working properly?
Both radars working properly?
Gyro compass working properly?
Gyro repeaters working properly?
Wheelhouse RPM indicators working and located properly?
Wheelhouse RPM indicators illuminated?
Bridge RPM indicators working and located properly?
Bridge RPM indicators illuminated?
If propeller variable pitch, indicators (pitch) working properly?
Wheelhouse rudder angle indicator working properly?
Rudder response complies with the regulation?
Mooring ropes available and placed in drums (fwd & aft) – wires are not acceptable by the ACP
Vessel fitted with 6 mooring ropes located fwd & aft? Bridge windshield wipers (blade type) working properly?
Vessel complies with minimum visibility forward (water surface)? 2 ship’s length – calculated in TSW
Vessel’s whistle working properly?
Blue steering light properly located?
All vessels are only allowed to take bunkers at Cristobal inner anchorage, inside breakwaters. When arriving by the Caribbean Sea, either for transit or not, all vessels requires a pilot to proceed to the inner anchorage
- Super vessels (beam of 91 or over) – bunkering designated area is the ALPHA anchorage (west side inside the breakwaters)
- Regular vessels (beam under 91 feet) – bunkering designated area is at the DELTA anchorage (east side inside the breakwaters)
The signal station (Port Entry Coordinator) will inform to the master of the vessels when is to proceed to the breakwaters entrance in order to pick up pilot to proceed to designated area depending on the availability of space). The normal procedure is that the vessels are shifted to inner anchorage the day before vessels is scheduled for canal transit at any time depending on the traffic on the area and availability of space. Vessels that are only calling Cristobal to take bunkers would be shifted to inner anchorage subject to space availability.
Bunker operation at Balboa is only performed at Pacific Explosive Anchorage. (West anchoring area) Pilotage to bunkering area at Pacific Explosive Anchorage is not compulsory neither for vessels arriving from sea nor those proceeding from the Canal (outbound from Miraflores Locks). Master is to make contact with the signal station at least 8 NM to the sea buoy; Port Entry Coordinator will instruct the Master where to anchor, position will depend on the availability of space. Vessel can start bunker operations at any moment provided the vessel has Radio Practique GRANTED regardless her transit program date/time.
Information required in advance (Cristobal or Balboa side)
- Draft before bunkering in TSW
- Draft after bunkering in TFW
- Bunker intake rate Size and location of manifolds
– After bunkering, master is to contact the agent and the signal station in order to report/confirm actual drafts in TFW